The Idea Center is packed full of experts ready to answer your home and garden questions.
Ask The Pros
Architects, interior designers, certified kitchen designers, and landscape designers will be on hand all day to talk with you about your remodeling, decorating, or landscaping ideas at no charge or obligation. Bring photos of your existing space and any plans or sketches you’ve developed.
Architects and Design Services
- Gene Nicolelli (Nicolelli Architects, LLC) Gene is an award winning architect with over 40 years of experience. During the past 12 years Gene has expanded his expertise and certification to include aging-in-place and universal design.
Consultation services include residential design/construction drawings for custom homes, lake homes/cabins, remodels and additions. Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS)
- Michael Anschel & Scott Barsness (Otogawa-Anschel Design Build, LLC) OA Design+Build+Architecture is a small, award-winning design-build firm devoted to green building and urban living. We are committed to maintaining a high level of workmanship with special attention paid to the aesthetics involved in remodeling and adding to homes.
Our company works primarily in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area focusing on older homes. We go to great lengths to try and match the style and characteristics of the home to ensure that our additions look as if they were part of the original structure. Our interior spaces range from those that model after the style of the home, to more forward-looking, contemporary design.
- Richard Woldorsky (Bachman’s Landscaping)- I have degrees in Landscape Architecture and Urban Studies from the University of Minnesota. I have worked as an Urban Planner and for the past 26 years as a Landscape Designer with Bachman’s. I have been presenting or displaying at the West Metro Home Remodeling Fair Since it began. The Pro’s at this Fair help homeowners retain and increase the value of the investment in their home. The results are more stable communities and better quality of life for the residents.
- Tyler Wortz (Magnolia Landscape & Design Co.)- Landscape Designer for an award winning landscape company in the West Metro area, specializing in custom hardscapes and plantings. For the same reason I love my job, I really enjoy working with homeowners to create a landscape solutions that offers form and function.
- Mary Jane Pappas (Pappas Design)- Mary Jane Pappas is a master space planner of homes and has been the owner of Pappas Design since 1979. She is a certified interior designer, a professional member of ASID, a Fen Shui Practitioner, and holds a degree in psychology. Mary Jane’s mission is to enhance the lives of clients via a mindful design process that transforms a house into a home.
Laura Potter (Laura Potter Designs)- I’ve been a design addict all my life but have been working as a professional interior designer for almost 15 years. Thankfully, I love my job and my kids (almost equally) because that’s all I do. This will be my first year at the fair. I’m excited about answering design questions related to remodeling.
- Manuel Jordan (Heritage Shade Tree)- Manuel has been providing his services at West Metro Home Remodeling Fair for many years as our arborist pro. You can visit Manuel in the Idea Center where he can answer all of your questions.
Public Information Exhibitors
Radon, Lead, & Indoor Air Pollution
Environmental health specialists will answer questions about radon and mitigation, lead hazards, and other common indoor air pollutants like mold. Limited quantities of radon detection test kits available.
Hennepin County-Environment & Energy
Hennepin County-Environment & Energy’s mission is to develop a community that has the knowledge and commitment to work towards sustaining a healthy environment. Jessica Arika will provide literature, information, and engaging activities in relation to recycling and diverting organic waste at home.
Keeping Your Home Safe – Fire Safety and Carbon Monoxide Detection
A fire safety specialist will share advice and answer your questions about keeping your home safe from fire and carbon monoxide dangers. There have been many advances and changes to fire codes regarding smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. By taking some basic and common sense precautions, most fires in the home and illnesses or deaths from carbon monoxide can be prevented.
Learn about the Southwest Light Rail Transit project (Green Line Extension) that will link Minneapolis and Eden Prairie, including information on the planned 15 light rail stations, what stations are going to look like in Hopkins, and video simulations of the light rail trains going through the downtown Hopkins station, the new light rail bridge over Excelsior Blvd, and the Blake Road station.
The University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners offer information on the best plants and practices for Minnesota lawns and gardens. These enthusiastic and university-trained volunteers help Minnesotans solve problems and make their communities more sustainable, beautiful, knowledgeable, and fun!